You don’t have to wear a mohawk, choker, or spikes to show you’re an individualist (unless you want to). Certain fashion pieces exude edgy confidence simply and subtly just by being themselves. The easiest way to introduce edge into your outfit is to include a pair of Doc Martens. They’ve been a Rock n Roll statement for decades and still ooze a certain retro coolness. This helpful guide has everything you need to know about wearing your Dr.Martens in 2021.
In This Post
A Brief History of Dr. Martens in Style Trends
- 1901 – The brand began as a modest work boot made to withstand industrial environments.
- 1945 – Dr. Klaus Maertens, a 25-year-old soldier, created a unique air-cushioned sole to aid in his recovery from a broken foot. He and his partner Dr. Funk started a booming shoe business mainly selling to older women.
- 1960 – Dr.Marten’s most popular shoe, 1460, was created, and it had all the signature elements we appreciate today, like the distinctive yellow stitching. The 1960s helped mold the brand from a working-class boot into a cultural icon.
- 1970 & 80’s – British youth culture and the European underground embraced the practicality and rugged symbolism of Dr. Martens.
- 1990 – Grunge turned mainstream and further promoted Doc’s popularity.
- 2010 – A revitalized Dr.Martens celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, and today it is worn by every gender and generation. It remains the fashion symbol for unapologetic originality.
Dr. Martens Boots FAQ’s
Is There a Difference Between Doc Martens and Dr. Martens?
No, there is no difference between Doc Martens and Dr. Martens. Doc Martens is simply a slang term for the English brand.
What Is the Most Popular Style of Doc Martens Boots?
The Doc Martens 1460 are the brand’s most popular style. The recognizable black leather work boot with all black laces and pull tab construction has become an iconic modern fashion piece. The 1460 was named after the date it was created, April 4th, 1960, using the European marking style.
What Styles of Dr. Martens are popular now?
Dr. Martens Chelsea boots are popular this fall and winter because they resemble the notable 1460 style but are easy to pull on and off. They make a great commuter boot for environments with unexpected weather like London.
Dr. Martens 1461 Bex has also made a strong appearance this season with the rising Oxford trend. These everyday oxfords mix masculine and feminine styles, complete with the brand’s classic edginess.
Should I Size up or Down for Doc Martens?
Doc Martens are only available in whole sizes. If in-between sizes, they recommend you size down. Customer reviews suggest the same since you’ll be wearing them with socks. It’s important to note that this is a general rule for the brand and will depend on style.
How to Clean Dr. Martens Boots
1. Clean the Soles Using Dish Soap and Warm Water
You can use a shoe brush, dishwasher brush, or toothbrush to remove built-up dirt and grime.
2. Remove and Clean Laces
If you’ve been wearing your Docs for a while, you might want to think about changing out the laces completely. This will do wonders in making your shoes look new. If they’re still salvageable, scrub them with warm water and dish soap and rinse & ring out repeatedly. Let air dry.
3. Remove Dust and Dirt From the Outer Sole
Dust off your Docs and rub any surface buildup using a shoe brush or a damp washcloth. For tough stains and scuffs, try rubbing with acetone-free nail polish remover.
4. Condition the Leather & Polish
Leather is technically skin, so to stay healthy and supple, it needs moisture. We recommend using Dr. Marten’s cleaning kit, which includes wax and Wonder Basalm specifically made for Docs to keep them looking their best.
Where to Buy Dr. Martens Boots
Get the latest styles and colors straight from the source. They have flexible payment options like Klarna and Afterpay so that you can get your Docs fast.
Journeys is the best source to find that California cool style and matching irreverent accessories. They accept Klarna for easy checkout.
Find styles you can’t find anywhere else at up to 70% off at DSW. They offer Afterpay to make the deals even sweeter.
Not sure what to pick? Zappos has pages to choose from, including sandals and the famous Dr.Martens platform boots.
We love Nordstrom because we can always count on them to have the most coveted, blogger approved styles. They also provide fantastic look inspiration to help you create a fashionable Dr.Martens outfit.
Don’t have time to wait? You don’t have to! With Amazon prime, you can get your new pair of Docs in as little as 2 days.