As you know, when you become pregnant, your wardrobe will need to change. You will need clothes that will fit well with your growing body and that will still flatter your figure. You know that maternity wear will be important for your comfort. However, have you thought about your shoes? Of course, there is no such thing as maternity shoes, but that does not mean you should not change the type of shoes you should wear. There are very good reasons for this and when you choose the right shoes for your day; you will find it can make a very big difference. Below are some things that you need to consider when it comes to the shoes that you choose to wear while you are pregnant.
Why You May Need to Change Shoes
If they have not already, your feet will swell. This is a normal part of pregnancy that comes along because of water retention. Your feet will not fit comfortably in your regular shoes, especially if you wear heels, pumps, and strappy sandals. Additionally, because you are carrying the extra weight of your baby, your feet will become more tired throughout the day. This is especially true if you have to stand on your feet during working hours. If you wear your normal shoes, you could find them downright painful. It will leave you sitting at home with your feet up or soaking in hot water every single night. This is why you need to choose shoes that will offer you comfort no matter your job and no matter your daily situation.
Choosing the Right Shoes
Just how do you know what type of shoes you should be wearing when you are pregnant? There are several things that you can look for when you go shoe shopping so that you can guarantee more comfort throughout your day while you are pregnant.
- It is best to avoid heels. Your balance may be off when you are pregnant and you certainly do not want to twist an ankle or worse, fall and possibly harm the baby.
- Additionally, heels generally have no give whatsoever. They will not fit well on swollen feet, which can cause pain and discomfort.
- Strappy shoes with no elastic could cut off circulation to your feet if they do swell. If you would like to wear strappy shoes, choose those that have elastic in the straps.
- Avoid hard soled shoes. These types of shoes will not be flexible and will not have any give for your feet. Instead, look for shoes with a softer sole and that will bend and flex. This will make it more comfortable for you to walk and stand.
- If your work requires standing and you work in any precarious situations, like in a restaurant, you need to choose shoes with plenty of traction, like safety shoes. The last thing you would want to do is slip and fall.
- Choose shoes a half size larger than you normally wear. This way, if your feet swell, they will have room to without you becoming uncomfortable and in pain.
You know how important maternity wear is to your pregnancy months. You need to choose clothing that will fit you well, grow with you, and still provide a fashionable look. You do not need to forget the shoes, though. In fact, shoes can be more important than your clothing when you are pregnant. Make sure that you spend some time choosing the right shoes. There are not maternity shoes, but there are plenty of options for your feet that will help you stay comfortable through the day.